Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) administers and maintains University fleet vehicles. Vehicles are divided into two groups - Business and Service. Vehicles may be leased or rented by departments for use by University faculty and staff to conduct University business both on and off campus. Vehicles may be rented for periods as short as one day, or as long as five years. Please note that students and student organizations are not permitted to lease University vehicles.
Regulations Pertaining to all University Vehicles
- Motor vehicles furnished by the University are to be used exclusively for University business and must be parked on University property (owned or leased) when not in use.
- The driver of a University vehicle is responsible for any moving or parking violations he or she may incur while operating the vehicle.
- The Office of Risk Management insures all University vehicles with a $250 deductible.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited in University vehicles.
- All University vehicles are purchased or leased, and disposed of by PTS, including those obtained by departments as gifts or under research grants. It is not permissible for a department to acquire a vehicle independent of PTS.
Who May Drive a University Vehicle
Drivers of University vehicles must be University faculty, staff or students, at least 18 years of age, and properly licensed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. It is the responsibility of the supervisor to check for a valid operator's license before authorizing staff to use a University vehicle. Vehicles will not be released to a driver without a valid license. Valid operators' licenses are those issued in the United States or Canada, and international licenses with an endorsement for driving in the U.S.
Supervisors or authorized department representatives are responsible to periodically check the driving record of those who routinely drive a University vehicle. Drivers with seven or more points appearing on their licenses will immediately lose their privileges to drive University vehicles. These checks must be performed no less than once per year, and may be conducted through the PTS Motor Vehicle Record system.
Student drivers must be authorized by a dean, director or department head to use a vehicle.
University "Service" vehicles are typically trucks or vans that are used exclusively for the maintenance and repair of University buildings or grounds. These vehicles may be ordered for long-term lease only.
To lease a Service vehicle, phone (734) 764-3427.
University "Business" vehicles, typically sedans or minivans, are available for monthly or annual lease, and a pool of vehicles is maintained for daily rental.
To lease a Business vehicle on a monthly or annual basis, phone (734) 764-3427.
To order a pool vehicle for short-term use, complete and submit a Vehicle Requisition form. A limited number of vehicles are available; therefore, we highly recommend that you confirm the availability of a vehicle for the day needed by phoning (734) 764-3427.
Get the Vehicle Requisition form here.
FleetShare is a vehicle lease program whereby two or more U-M departments share the use and expense of one (or more) U-M vehicles. It includes an option for a "FleetShare" reserved parking space in a core campus area.
For more information read the flyer or call 764-3427.